Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Instead of feeling guilty for leaving my family during a holiday for a party where old high school friends reunite, I spent almost the whole day reading my book. Other than the occasional visit from Mel and Pat, I've been immersed in this other world. Unfortunately the one summer most of my high school friends are off doing their own thing and the friends I usually see are all down in SoCal, my family decides to make their own plans. I'm definitely feeling that Cupertino is a place where I spend time with family and San Diego is my own separate, independent life.

My mom and my cousins left today for this trip where they are going to China to visit a lot of our extended relatives. In preparation for this trip we spent all day yesterday driving around running errands as my mom told me and Norman stories about our family. I learned that my grandmother was a twin, but her twin died very early on. I learned my great grandfather was shot and killed by the Japanese soldiers because he went back to attempt to save his mistress. He also had a small fortune in Columbia, but my grandmother didn't want to receive any of the information to access the account because she thought it was jinx his life so when he died, nobody was able to retrieve any of the money. I also learned that even though my family is from Asia, my grandfather, and great grandfather were all very well educated which probably explains why I am so privileged now.

When I ate with an old couple during Orientation last Monday, the father told me something very wise. He said that he tells his son all the time that higher education can transform you into an eagle. One that is very wise and able to fly high into the sky to have a greater vantage point. Without higher education, you're only a toad - one who can't see much, but the surrounding ground around him. He was so cute and treated his wife so well, I can only hope I am lucky enough to have a husband like him.

Being a Senior Orientation Leader was so much more than I expected. I felt so many expectations from some of the returners and I wish I spent more time with the group. But sometimes I just needed a break! It was really awesome seeing everybody grow and finding friendships which made it all worth it. :)

Ok, must start packing for Taiwan! I'm actually really excited to go. :)

No comments: