
During OL training on Thursday we talked a lot about the different oppressions people face. Two of my peers shared the special security attention they receive just because of their appearance, names, and where they are traveling to. To us the security checks may be random, but to them it happens every time they travel. Apparently on their ticket it will show SSSS to indicate to the security people to check them more thoroughly. The worst part is that they both understand and accept that it's for the protection of everybody. Really it's racism, but everybody lets it happen because it's stemmed from such a great tragedy.
Later I went to Take Back The Night which is a rally for rape victims. There weren't as many horrific stories as there were last year, but it was still extremely powerful. One thing that was stressed this year more so than last was the fact that drunk sex is still considered rape. I don't know if I agree completely because sometimes alcohol is just used as an excuse. But of course if the girl is so passed out that you're raping her while she's unconscious or sleeping that's just messed up. Why do some guys think it's ok?
What really blew me away was that somebody I know and am pretty close to went up in front of everybody and spoke out about her own experience. It was courageous, honest, and terribly moving. It made me realize there really is an overwhelming silence surrounding sexual violence. Even though I have heart to hearts with friends where we can talk about anything, sexual violence is never brought up. Maybe I'm just lucky enough that my close friends have never experienced this, but maybe it just really isn't talked about. That was the first night I actually personally knew somebody who's gone through something like that.
Then on Saturday I had personal stories day with all the other OLs - we are such a diverse group this year. I love learning about people's life stories and where they are coming from. I think it's harder at college to talk about these things - your family, hardships you've experienced, problems going on in your life. In high school it was so much easier to talk about these things, but I have no idea why. Out of everybody I've met in college, there are only a handful of people I can actually go to dinner with, one on one, and talk about what's on our hearts. I feel like people just don't care or don't want to hear it. Maybe people in high school were just faking it or wanting to hear it for the sake of gossip, but I just can't figure it out why things work like this.
I've learned so much this past week. Oppression is everywhere and not being aware of it just fuels it on. Like girls who allow themselves to be called a whore or a bitch even by their friends - you're just degrading yourself. Why, why would you put yourself in that situation? There are always new ways of being oppressed so be aware and use your own privilege to fight back. People always have a story that has shaped them into who they are today. Instead of judging, ask that person for their story and maybe you'll understand them a little better.
No comments:
Post a Comment